SIR CHRISTOPHER WREN TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL
K. Russell (Head Prefect)
G.C.E. EXAMINATION RESULTS 1962
Barley, K.C. Mathematics, Geometrical Drawing
Bedford, M. E .Mathematics, Geometrical Drawing
Carey, R. P. English, Mathematics, Brickwork, Art
Clark, M.A. English, Building Science, Mathematics
Compson, K.R. Chemistry, Physics, Building Science, Geom. Drawing
Dawson, C. H. English, Woodwork, Building Science, Mathematics
Gill, L.G. Metalwork, Mathematics, Geom. Drawing, Art
Jacobs, B. English, Woodwork, Mathematics, Geom. Drawing
Kirkwood, J.E .Physics, El. Surveying
Lawson, P.T. English, Mathematics, Geom. Drawing, Art
Lilley, A. Geom. Drawing, Mathematics, Brickwork
Macintosh M.J. Brickwork
Mason, J.E. English, Building Science, mathematics, Geom. Drawing, Art
Pitt, B.F. Physics, El. Surveying, Geom. Drawing
Rooms, M.F. English, Mathematics, Geom. Drawing
Russell, K.H. Building Science, Mathematics, El. Surveying. Geom. Drawing, Brickwork
Simpson, C.E Building Science, Mathematics, El. Surveying, Geom. Drawing, Brickwork
Smith, I.D. English, Building Science, Mathematics, Geom. Drawing, Brickwork
Smithurst, I. Building Science, Mathematics, El. Surveying, Geo. Drawing
Suddaby, J.M.B Mathematics, El. Surveying, Geom. Drawing, Brickwork
Tunley, R.J. Building Science, Mathematics, Geom. Drawing, Brickwork
Turner, P.J. El. Surveying, Geom. Drawing, Mathematics
Waterson, H.A. Mechanics, Chemistry, British Constitution, Geom. Drawing
Webster, P. English, Woodwork, Building Science, Mathematics, Art
Worsey, F.A.N. Mathematics
Wragg, P.J Geom. Drawing, Mathematics
EARLY DAYS OF THE SCHOOL FOR BUILDING
(It was felt that many pupils past and present, must have been curious concerning the origin and growth of the school and therefore a history in brief form would be helpful. With his usual kindness and willingness to help, Mr. F. Rosedale who was a founder member of the staff, agreed at once to undertake the task. The article below is the result. It is hoped at a later date to carry the story on up to present times.)
Early in 1942, in the difficult days following the enemy bombing, the National Government of the day foresaw the urgent need for trained craftsmen which would be required to meet the increased demand in the Building Industry at the end of hostilities. Local Authorities throughout the country were therefore encouraged to create and develop the work of junior Technical Schools.
One such school was proposed for Hull, and the Municipal Technical College was made responsible for its development.
The Building Department of the College had been originally housed in Lime Street Boys School but this building suffered severe damage during the ‘blitz’ of 1941. Its work was in consequence transferred back to the College in Park Street, where accommodation was very restricted. The proposed new school immediately posed a problem of accommodation as Hull, unlike most other towns had suffered severely from bombing and many of its schools had been badly damaged. There were the conditions which Mr. G. Hanby, the Head of the Building Department at that time, had to face. His was the task of inspecting school buildings, preparing a suitable curriculum and proposing staff and equipment which would be required for the “School of Building” as it was to be known.
The building finally chosen was the Osborne Street School, which was originally one of three occupying the present site. Two of these had been destroyed and the roof of the present building badly damaged. It had stood derelict for a year, but was quickly repaired and made habitable with classroom furniture transferred
from Park Street. Its first 60 pupils were selected from lads who had passed the entrance examination of the College, and who proposed to follow a career in one of the building crafts. New members of staff were appointed, namely Mr. redhead, Mr. A Parkinson, Mr. A Pearson (now deceased) and these with Mr. Hanby (head) and Mr. F. Rosedale, started the work of the school in September 1942. One member of the staff of the Riley High School visited Osborne Street one day per week to take English and Associated subjects.
The curriculum consisted of Mathematics, English, Science, History, Geometry, Materials Building Construction and the Theory and Practice of Brickwork, Plumbing and Joinery, extending over two years. Many difficulties were experienced and overcome in those early days, particularly with respect to the practical subjects. The practical class in brickwork was started valiantly by Mr. Redhead in the enclosed yard at the side of the school. This work was then transferred to an old warehouse in Canning Street and afterwards to a disused shelter in Leicester Street. Practical work in Plumbing was done in the Plumbers Shop at Park Street under Mr. Parkinson and the Joinery (?) class also at Park Street in a room permanently blacked out and by no means large enough for the purpose. Materials were in very short supply; scrap timber had to be used and the bricks and metal re-used as far as practicable. But a great spirit of adventures and enthusiasm existed throughout the school and this made up in part for the lack of facilities due to the times.
Extraneous activities soon developed. These included fruit and potato harvesting at school camps, first aid classes, regular collections for Red Cross, War Savings and the Aid to Russia campaign sponsored by Mr. W. Churchill. In September 1943 another 60 pupils were admitted, and the staff increased by the appointment of Mr. C.H. Sugden, Mr. A. Bray (since retired) and Mr. J.G. Witty (now deceased).
Since then was the origin of the “School for Building”, which commenced its work in the dark days of the last war. It gained in strength and stature and was soon to become an important addition to educational life in the city. It was most ably led by Mr. G Hanby, its first Head, up to his retirement in 1952 and who has since passed away. Its first pupils have long since gone into industry and many have already made their mark in Building as employers, estimators, site agents, and some have qualified as chartered surveyors, civil engineers and at least one qualified architect. Its importance was soon appreciated by the local Building Employers Association and Trade unions, and members from these associations were appointed to the Governing Body of the School. Its influence led to the formation and development of the National Diploma Course in Building, and quite a number of its pupils subsequently continued their studies in this field. Most of its pupils on leaving school have continued their studies in part time classes in the Building Department, and have been successful in gaining C.G.L.I. Final certificates and Higher National Certificate in Building.