[Home Page]
[Home Page]
Volume 1 - Page 9

Volume 1 - Page 10
On Thursday morning we again went out with the French guide to the Palais de la Decouverte (Science Museum). There we saw something which was related to every lesson we take at this school. There were generators, radios, computers and as many will remember, colour television. The colour television was the main attraction. It was only in the very early stages; it seems that France is a little behind on this subject. We saw a very doddery old French professor demonstrate the various peculiarities of liquid oxygen. We then went into a different part of the museum and saw the calculations of ‘pie’ numbering in thousands of decimal places. There was not enough time to see all the different parts of the museum, but on the whole it was extremely educational. The afternoon was free. Now we have ended the last day of the actual touring of Paris, I would like to mention the peculiar French Metro. There are only two lines built in this way on the Metro. The cars have rubber wheels similar to those of a petrol bus and run on wooden rails. The wheels are kept to the track by steel flanges set about two feet away from the track on either side. The trains have two horizontal wheels set in the bogie and run on these flanges. The train is therefore self steering. The advantage of these rubber wheels is in their extremely comfortable riding on the “woodways” and their ability to grip the track and so obtain a greater efficiency in speed.  Unlike the London Underground, the trains have first and second class carriages, which are differently coloured for easy location in a busy tube station. Red or yellow for first class, green or blue for second class. Another peculiarity is the charging system on the Metro. No matter how far you travel on the Metro the price is the same. But this does not mean that the Metro is cheap; it would be a lot to pay for a short journey, whereas a long one is cheap.

Our journey home was quite uneventful - up to Calais. The boat trip was a different matter - the sea was rough and the ship was rolling badly. Unfortunately, Spivey was sick, and I was feeling extremely sorry for myself. After the boat journey we came to the customs. We were allowed through without any questions asked. The dinner at Victoria was again at the Bar-B-Q. We were all very pleased and more knowledgeable when we had returned. I am sure we would all like to return there once more.

P. Benson (IVA)


Many boys were interested enough to make enquiries about the possibility of forming a rugby team.  Considerable thought was given to the matter and it was decided to form two rugby teams - one for the boys in the senior part of the school, who seemed to be in what might be described as a “recreational vacuum” insomuch as they did not have any regular time at the field. After meeting representatives from other schools it was decided to form and “over age” team to play either single schools or a combination of such schools. This proved quite interesting and our over age team met the Hull Schools’ Rugby League team on several occasions, this providing some real opposition were none could have been found.

A most interesting match was played against Maybury High School, the school team of which had been beaten, so it was agreed that a number of the staff of each school could play. Mr. Wilson and Mr. Coates played for us and rumour, ever a lying Jade, had it that talent scouts from prominent clubs after seeing the tearaway efforts of Mr. Coates in the forwards, and the speed of Mr. Wilson on the wing, came forward with tempting financial offers, but both, loyal to the school, rejected such commercial temptations. Owing to the terrible weather throughout the season not so many matches were played as we should have liked, but by good fortune this team actually played more matches than the “A” team which was in a regular league.

Lawson captained this team throughout the season and proved to be a real leader and commander. Great enthusiasm was shown by all the team and they are to be congratulated on their willingness to make considerable journeys as, for example, to Hedon, to play the South Holderness County Secondary School. It is to be hoped that with more boys in secondary modern schools staying beyond the age at which they could legally leave school, that a regular league will be formed. There is much talent that could be encouraged in this way.

The following boys played in the team: P. Lawson (Captain), Holmes (Vice Captain), Russell, Lilley, Pipes, Wragg, Clark, Suddaby, Smithurst, Watkins, Jacobs, Smith, Wright, Cundil, Bedford.

The “A” team was composed of some very good individual players, but owing to lack of opportunities to practice together never really functioned as a team. The spirit was indeed willing, but a further obstacle was the vile weather, which not only wrecked the fixture list but destroyed any hopes we had to practice matches. This was most unfortunate as in Kipling we had a potential match winner on account of his strong running on the wing. Our pack was, on most occasions, bigger and heavier than those we met, but as a team, we lacked experience and were very often “raw”. Ness was an able captain and his play at off half was often brought to nought by the inexperience of those on either side of him. Special mention must be made of Tuohy’s great courage at full back. His tackling, often boys far heftier than he himself, saved us on a number of occasions, when there remained only Tuohy to pass. As he is still very young it is considered that there is a possibility of a very bright future for him.

We are looking forward to next season when we are to have a “B” team. The result of this will be seen in the “feeder” for the “A” team as experience players will be available each year for the senior teams. Our thanks are due to Mr. Wilson for his help and coaching of the “over age” team and also to those boys who gave their support during Saturday mornings, making up for their lack of numbers by their stentorian vocal efforts on behalf of their team.  Supporters may make a great deal of difference to a team and this opportunity is taken to appeal to those boys who can turn up to support to do so.

The following boys played in the “A” team: Ness (Captain), Spivey, Ruthvern, Frusher, C. Martin, Vokes, Kealty, Clarke, Thompson, McNee, Kipling, Worrall, Roe, Marshall, Lill, Froby, Cavanagh, Avey, Clark (third year), Gibbs, Whisker, Oades, Slater, Wiles and Russell (second year).


Most unfortunately the severe weather cut down the number of matches played. Had we had more chances to practice, we should have played more a a “team”, but most important of all the team spirit was there. Our best game of the season was the second match versus the Grammar School. It was in his match that we did play together as a team. Good work was done by the inside forwards - Shutt, Fisher and Merrills. During the match against Kelvin Hall our full back, Eastwood, in his excitement and anxiety to prevent a goal being scored actually picked up the ball. Of course a penalty was awarded, but Dalton surprised himself and managed to stop an almost certain goal being scored.

The game against Greatfield High School resulted in a win for us by eight goals to six. Our match against Malet Lambert was almost lost when they were leading by two goals to one, but in the last three minutes Bucknall scored two quick goals. The College of commerce team consisted of boys who were, or who seemed to be, about sixteen years of age. However, we ran out the winners by six goals to one. The match against Kingston High School was played in very bad weather. At one time we were leading by three goals to one, but after a strong attack by Kingston we were beaten four goals to three.

Boys who played in the team are: Dalton, Goldspink, Eastwood, Elliott, Jumps, Batty, Bucknall, Merrills, Fisher, Shutt, Wood, and we are grateful to those reserves - namely: Chapman, Gledhill and Caldeira - who faithfully stood by.

A. Shutt, E. Fisher