SIR CHRISTOPHER WREN TECHNICAL HIGH SCHOOL
HISTORY OF THE BUILDING AND OTHER ITEMS
·Prior to High School for Building the site was used for Osborne Street Board School and was for 750 mixed pupils.
·According to the Victoria County History web site the school opened in 1878. An additional block was built in 1904
·The school was designed by William Botterill in 1878 to a design he had used for the Fountain Road School which he had designed in 1877
·In 1894 children with hearing problems were sent to Osborne Street Board School but a separate centre was not opened until 1903
·Hull Board ceased to operate in 1903 and at the time operated over 40 schools
·Between 1903 and 1940 the deaf centre shared the building with the school. There was no provision for children with physical or mental defect at the schools. Hull blind pupils were sent to Doncaster.
·It was a mixed school for boys and girls but in 1925 the girls were transferred to Villa Place
·Miss Caroline Overton was the girls’ school mistress in 1892 (Bulmer’s Gazetteer). She lived at 12 Ryde Street.
·1939 the juniors and infants amalgamated
·1940 the school closed as a Board School
·1941 there is an article by Olivia Cubberley - ‘I attended Osborne Street School from August 1934 until it was bombed in 1941’ http://www.bbc.co.uk/ww2peopleswar/stories/12/a4660012.shtml
·As the war was finishing it was thought that there would be a shortage of building craftsmen and therefore it was decided that a school would be set up to train young men in building construction. At this time High School for Building was born.
·George Hanby was Headmaster in 1942
·The first intake into the school was in September 1942 and among others included Mr. G. L. Dean. There were two classes of 30 pupils each and it was a two year course and was designed for 13 to 15 year olds. The practical work in the first year was joinery (practical and theory taken by Fred Rosedale), plumbing (taken by A Parkinson) and brickwork (taken by J Redhead). School hours were 9 am to noon and 1-45 pm to 4-45 pm. Plumbing and joinery was taken in Park Street and brickwork was taught in the open school playground in Osborne Street.
·Friday afternoons in 1942 /3 were 'field days' and were at Newland High School for Girls, Cottingham Road.
·In early 1943 the room above the boiler house at the school was converted into a joiners shop (no machinery)
·In 1943 Arthur Bray, C Sugden and L Hammond joined the school and along with Fred Rosedale established a new two year course which became A Diploma in Building. The course was originally arranged for sons of builders from Hull and East Riding but school pupils who had gained sufficient knowledge were allowed to join in.
·In September 1943 a further 60 pupils joined the school and the brickwork classes were moved to premises in Canning Street.
·If any pupils from the first intake had an apprenticeship at Easter 1944, they could leave.
·In 1945 the teachers of the diploma departments decided that since students were working towards a qualification to become apprentices in the 'outside world' then the class hours should be changed to suit.
·Arthur Fisher became Head of Building Dept. after George Hanby retired.
·1958/9 Mr Burgess was Head of the Building Department and he was appointed Headmaster. Unfortunately the previous head had an accident and was not seen at the school for long periods of time and when he finally came back to school he was on crutches.
·Frank Mason became Deputy Head after Mr Burgess had left and Frank Mason was eventually appointed Head master.
· 1959 was the last year that entrance to the school was only via a separate exam. Half the intake in this year was made this way and the other half via 11+
· The school’s name appeared in Sunday Times after a rugby sevens tournament at Bridlington 1960
· High School for Building became an annex to Hull college of Technology
· 1959 the school motto was introduced along with a change in uniform to include red - Arthur Fisher said that it would make the school uniform more distinguishable from other schools
· In 1960 the school motto established was NISI DEUS AEDIFICAT which means Unless The Lord Build
· 1959/60 the school badge was re designed
· The board of Govenors in 1959/60 were:-
Alderman I Robinson, J.P.
Alderman L Schultz, O.B.E.
Councilor G W Goforth, S.R.M.N., R.M.T.A.
Councilor W H Sanderson
Councilor Mrs. G Thomas
Mr W E Spence, M.B.E.
Mr F. O. Dunn
Miss N Finlay
Councilor L Pearlman (1959)
· 1959/60 the year that the ‘Old Boys’ was formed
· 1963 the school was renamed Sir Christopher Wren
· 1969 / 1970 the school was demolished
" After the school 'closed' the pupils and teachers transferred to Andrew Marvel for 3 years and therefore all the pupils from Sir Christopher Wren had finished their training in 1972.
Three schools all joined into one which was called Andrew Marvel but the school was split into three separate sections inside. The three schools were Barham School, Jervis High School and Sir Christopher Wren High School.
Barham School for girls had their same teachers and pupils and became Barham Hall. Jervis High school did likewise and became Jervis Hall and Sir Christopher Wren became Wren Hall.
Wren Hall became defunct in 1972 after all the former Air Christopher Wren pupils left to start work or went to university.