During the past two years Mr. Mason has got the Mechanics Club well under way. When the club was first announced, and volunteers asked for, a large number of boys joined. At the first meeting there were about twenty boys assembled in room 11 most of them with their own spanners and tools.

Unfortunately, at the time there were only two small engines, an Austin and a Morris, which only a few boys at a time could attend to. This greatly reduced the boys at the next meeting and there are now only about ten members. The Morris engines had a stand made for it, which enabled us to get at it from all sides. Both the Morris and the Austin were stripped and re-assembled numerous times, each time we gained a little more knowledge of their working. The engine was of the side valve four cylinder type, and there were a beginning to the club. We were by now in need of another engine. We all scouted around garages and various places looking for one. Eventually we found one at a garage in Cottingham. It was a Singer twelve over head camshaft. As it was still in the car, Mr. Mason went down one Saturday afternoon and removed the bolts holding it to the chassis. One or two nights later it was removed from the car with much labour and driven to school in Mr. Martin’s van. It was then split into various parts and carried up to room eleven where it was left until Mr. Redhead had made a trolley for it, which enabled it to be moved about with ease. This Singer Twelve was more interesting than the Morris and the Austin as it had its gear box and coupling to the camshaft.

A month or two later a small Austin car was brought which was nicknamed “Ossie”, and was left in the small yard until it was ready for use.

When we received this Austin, the Membership of the club rose and it was decided that the club should be split up for three nights a week. It then left three or four boys each night to work on it. This car now has its engine in Room 11, making a total of four. It is hoped that sometime we shall obtain more tools and more room to work in.

E. Wright 2A


The high School for Building Canoe Club, now in its second year, has had a vey busy year with a many as ten canoes under construction. This year five more canoes have been started by some new members of the first year. These new members are very keen indeed, and have worked very industriously under difficult conditions to build the canoes. All work on the canoes is carried out in dinner break and after four fifteen. Some members also come in the evening to do some work.

When taken as a whole, the amount of work that has been done is very little. This has been due partly to the noticable lack of tools and long holdups in the supply of timber and the cramped space in which the work must be carried out. At the moment of writing five canoes have been completed, but they were paid for by the boys themselves and therefore are not school property. What I would like to see is more school canoes completed (there is none finished yet!) and less money spent on the canoes which do not belong to the school so that there will be no more financial holdups to school canoes.

But, spurred on by assistance and advice of those members who have completed their canoes, we all look forward to the day when our canoe will be launched.

J. Foster 3A


On the 12th February the school broke uup for a half term holiday. The next day four boys from the school and friends were travelling to Holmpton Hall, a well known haunted guest house to spend the weekend there. There were three boys who travelled by bicycle, and the other two feeling lazy travelled by car, but it was very fortunate for the boys on bicycles they had their luggage transported for them. We did not arrive at Holmpton until six o’clock, and we found upon our arrival that the other two boys had already arrived. Mr. Peter Waller met us at the door of the Hall and told us where we would be sleeping. After we had settled in and had tea we played billiards and talked with Peter until it was time we were in bed. That night when we were in bed, we talked about all the ghosts that were supposed to be in residence and as a result of the queer noises around the house, we did not get to sleep until half past two the next morning.

On the 14th February, we played billiards in the morning and in the afternoon we discussed what we were going to do that night, and so after tea we set out for Holmpton village to catch the bus to Withernsea and when we arrived we went to the cinema.

The 15th February was a Sunday and a friend called to see us and took two of us in his car for a ride to Humbleton to visit some other friends.

When we arrived back at the Hall, we found that the other three had made a very insecure bridge over a nearby pond. They tried to persuade us to cross, but as the bridge was not very safe we politely declined the offer of a certain soaking.

On the following day we intended to do a lot of revising for G.C.E., but it did not, as we arose very late (about 12 noon) and had dinner and breakfast all in one and as we had to return home that afternoon, we did not get any chance to do any revising at all.

We enjoyed our stay at Holmpton Hall immensely and we thanked our host very much for putting up with us for the three days we were there.

A Furniss 3A


The main idea of the visit to Belgium was to go and see the World Fair. The staff had managed to make a very successful week of enjoyment and had made the most of the time we were there. On July 18th we started the day by being punctual and arriving in Belgium on time, but we missed the train to Brussels and had to wait for a other one. We arrived in Brussels at 10.0 o’clock at night, we had supper and went to bed. During the week we went twice to the World Fair and once to The Grotto De Hans in the Ardennes. The main attractions at the World Fair were:- the Atonium, British Zeta, Russian Sputnik and the American Pavilion. The American Pavilion was not very impressive because the only attraction was the fashion show. The Atonium was the only type of Pavilion were you had to pay to enter, the fee was 7/6d. Coca Cola (refreshments) varied in price :- In the suburbs about 4d each and in the Exhibition about 3/- each. The buses we travelled on were the most comfortable kind of bus anybody could wish for, but the trams, or as the guide used to called the “Boneshakers” were uncomfortable. The Was Museum was interesting, everybody said the Art Museum was not and nobody could disagree with them. Many of the boys brought back little momentos and had no money left to pay duty with. When arriving at the Customs House the men began to look at the lists we had made out and meanwhile everybody was hoping that they would not have to pay the duties. After a few minutes everybody was relieved and got on the train for London. We arrived home on time at approximately 10.30pm and giving thanks to the staff, we went home.

K.S. Jackson 2 Alpha


The idea of this holiday is to see as much as possible of Switzerland in the shortest possible time. Under the supervision of Mr. E.A. martin we shall leave Hull on the 21st July and arrive at Kandersteg on the 22nd. The boys will have two days to themselves and the rest of the time will visit interesting places such as Spiez and Oeschinen. Leaving Kandersteg on 29th July the party will leave for home, arriving in Hull the next day.

K.D. Jackson 2 Alpha
[Home Page]
[Home Page]
Volume 4 - Page 9

Volume 4 - Page 10