THE VERY BEGINNING OF THE SCHOOL 5TH APRIL 1878
The following article was taken from the Hull News Saturday 6th April 1878
Opening of New Board Schools in Osborne Street
The ceremony of opening the new Board Schools in Osborne Street took place last evening on which occasion there was a large assembly. The proceedings took place in the Infants School room. Mr. T. Stratten, chairman of the board was in the chair, and amongst those present were the Mayor (Ald. Waller), the Sheriff (Mr. C. Johnson), Sir H Cooper (ex chairman of the School Board), Dr. Lamo, Dr. Fraser, The Rev. Dean Henderson, the Rev. C Kendall, Messrs Stuart, Pool, F. A. Scott, Myers, Dr. Lunn.
The Chairman after welcoming the company and stating that this was the tenth block of buildings the School Boards now had under their management. called upon the Mayor to declare the school open. His Worship said he was very glad indeed to take part in the opening of these extensive premises. He briefly referred to the advantages of education and congratulated the chairman upon the progress the Board had made. Having then heartily wished the school every success he declared them open (cheers).
the Sheriff in a short speec, addressed the gathering, and was followed by Mr. Stuart, chairman of the Board's Property and Finance Committee. He said that, as the chairman had stated, the Boards had now under their control ten blocks of school buildings. One of these was Fish Street School for which they paid but a nominal rent, and which had really cost the ratepayers nothing. The Sculcoates parish school they had purchased, but the other eight they had erected themselves, and the whole provided accommodation for 7622 children. Three other schools were now in course of erection, and when these were completed four others would have to be provided in other parts of the town. They would then have seventeen permanent blocks of schools and these would provide only the present requirements for public elementary education in the town.
Dr. Fraseras chairman of the Management Committee and Dr. Lunn, as vice chairman of the Board and chairman of the Bye Laws Committee spoke with reference to the work of the perspective committees.
Sir H Cooper having expressed his congratulations, the company adjourned to the girls school room, where refreshments were served.
A very pleasant entertainment was afterwards given in the infants room by the teachers connected with the various schools of the Board, and comprised vocal and instrumental music and recitations, all of which were very much enjoyed. Mrs. Farrah of the Wawne Street schools ably officiated on the piano forte.
The schools are erected upon an irregularly shaped site. The infants school building, which is one storey in height occupies the Osborne Street frontage and is detached from the boys and girls schools, which form a two storied building, with the entrance for the boys from Burton Street and for the girls from Fawcet Street. The site contains 2102 square yards of which 1050 or about half, is occupied by the buildings, and the remaining half by open asphalted playgrounds. The area of the school and class room floors in the infants department is 2216 feet, in the boysand the girls 2792 square feet, affording accommodation for about 270 children in each department. The buildings are of red stock bricks, with stone dressings to the penings, etc. with high pitched roofs, covered with slate and are of Gothic character. The school and the classrooms are generally 20ft. in width, lofty and well lighted and ventilated. The roofs are open to the collar beam with arched principals, and all the woodwork is stained and varnished. Teachers' house, store room, cloak room, lavatory and all other necessary conveniences are provided in connection with each department, and Perkin's patent hot water apparatus for warming.
The buildings have been erected from the designs of Mr. W. Botterill (Messrs W. Botterill and Son), the architect and surveyor to the Board, by Mr. J. T. Skinner, contractor and builder. The cost of the buildings is about £7100 and the site about £6400.
The original newspaper is held in The Hull History Centre